Dealing with eight or more migraines a month? It’s time to talk to your provider.
Anyone who has ever had to deal with a migraine knows just how excruciatingly painful it can be. Fortunately, most people don’t have to deal with them regularly enough to have to deal with the major inconvenience it causes to a person’s daily routine and productivity. If you are dealing with more than 15 headaches a month and eight or more are migraines, you could very well be dealing with chronic migraines. Turn to our providers at Trophy Club Family Medicine, Dr. David Yi, Dr. Paula Lansford-Seabaugh, and Carol Addy PAC if you think you’re dealing with chronic migraines. Our office is conveniently located in Trophy Club, TX.
What triggers migraines?
Many things can trigger a migraine, and these vary from person to person. It’s important to keep track of your habits, diets, and environment to pinpoint possible migraines triggers. Some common triggers include,
- Poor posture
- Excessive caffeine consumption
- Certain foods (e.g., foods that contain MSG; foods with artificial sweeteners)
- Weather changes
- Strong odors
- Loud music
- Poor sleep
When should I see my provider?
Here are some signs that you don’t have your chronic migraines under control and that you could benefit from seeing a qualified medical professional,
- You have to self-medicate at least two times a week
- You’re dealing with migraines two or more times a week
- Your migraines dictate your routine (and you plan your routine around your migraines)
- You aren’t able to properly control your migraines on your own
- Your migraines keep getting worse
How do you treat migraines?
While there are certain lifestyle changes you can implement to reduce the frequency and severity of your migraines, for people dealing with chronic migraines this often isn’t enough. The providers at Trophy Club Family Medicine can help you get chronic migraines under control with these medications,
- Calcium channel blockers
- Antiseizure medications (e.g. Topamax)
Lifestyle changes that could improve your headaches along with medication include,
- Avoiding artificial sweeteners, MSG, and highly salty foods
- Avoiding caffeine and alcohol
- Getting regular exercise
- Managing stress with tai chi or yoga
- Improving sleep hygiene to get better sleep
Other treatment options and alternative therapies to help migraine sufferers include,
- Chiropractic care
- Relaxation techniques
- Botox injections
If you are dealing with the challenges of chronic migraines, the providers at Trophy Club Family Medicine can help you manage your headaches. Call the office in Trophy Club, TX, at (817) 430-9111 to schedule an evaluation.